Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Apt Art Update

In a previous post, I wrote about the lack of art in my apartment. I’m pleased to say that is no longer the case. My dad responded promptly, bringing over two small wall pieces that I now proudly display. The pieces are actually older than me, which is pretty cool. And they look great (of course).

Because of their size, they weren’t hung above the TV, couch or dinner table—the three areas with the most empty white space—but they fit perfectly where they are. One hangs on the small connecting wall between my I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-closet kitchen and my bedroom. The other is on the wall right next to where the door of my apartment opens. The door is always closed when people, so the piece will be in plain view for visitors.

As for the empty spaces, I have some thoughts, ideas, and wishes, but my dad gave me some perspective. He told me not to be in a rush to fill space for the sake of filling it. “I believe it may be worth waiting and finding something that really interests you and investing in that thing,” he said. “I think you will know what I mean if you look at the work as something personal and not as decoration.”

So, that’s the plan. I’m not going to buy art for art’s sake, but I’m definitely keeping my eyes open for something that speaks to me on a personal level. Maybe I’ll find something in time for Christmas. Maybe not until 2009. But like the furniture choices before, I want to make sure I’m getting something I’m going to be satisfied with for the long haul.

In the meantime, I do have some other plans in mind continue making the apartment feel home. Family photos are my next priority because nothing makes me feel home more than my family. I have a frame from Hallmark. Now I just need to fill it with smiling faces. So, Mom, Dad, Mike, Jeff, Molly, get me a nice pic soon or else you’re at my mercy as far as photo selection goes.

Another idea (courtesy of Jessie) is to get a floor plant to go next to my TV. Growing up, we never had a lot of indoor plant life at home, but it might be a nice way to liven things up. Of course, it does add one more chore for me. Unless I get a fake plant. And then there’s the rapidly approaching Christmas season. It’s my favorite season, so I’m going to have to do SOME decorating. But, my rule is not until after Thanksgiving. So I’ll save that for a future post. Print this post

0 comments: