Thursday, January 22, 2009

Things I Miss: Warmth

The past couple of days brought something I hadn’t seen in weeks: sunlight. Unfortunately, the sun forgot that it’s also in charge of warming the planet.

This month has been brutally cold, including a few days with wind chills bringing the temperature below zero. My favorite weather term is “feels like.” You know, when it tells you the temperature is 23 degrees Fahrenheit (feels like 7). I don’t know about you, but I don’t really care about the first number. If it feels like 7, my body’s going to have to deal with 7 degrees.

The cold has taken its toll on my apartment heating bill, too. I have electric heat and I can’t complain too much about the monthly bill, but it has increased every month since I’ve moved in thanks to the increasingly cold temperatures. I keep the thermostat set at a less-than-ideal 65 degrees when I’m home and drop it down to 60 when I go to bed or leave the apartment.

Is it bearable? Yes. Comfortbale? Not really. It’s fine when I come back from the gym, but otherwise it tends to force me to wear more layers of clothes than I would like indoors. Oh, and don’t even get me started about the poor circulation in my feet and my never-ending complaints of having cold feet.

As Ben Folds once sang, “Hey Summer, where ya been?”

I recently saw Facebook pics of my cousin Meaghan and her daughter walking the California beaches on New Year's Day. I'm a little jealous. That's obviously not happening at Presque Isle any time soon, and summer seems like an eternity away. At this point, I'd settle for 50 degrees (would feel like 80). Print this post

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you this Matt, but I actually wore shorts and a T shirt this week!!!

Matt Hubert said...

Well, I'm glad to hear you're reading and commenting on the blog...and extremely jealous of your weather-related attire!