My room is no more.
I was home last night for my sister’s birthday dinner. When I went up to see my former bedroom, I was not pleased. The emptiness is one thing, but now I saw a pink chair and giant stuffed teddy bear occupying the same space where I slept for more than 20 years. Not cool.
Apparently my sister is converting my old room into her spillover room, though I reminded her that I survived with just one room for 24 years. In my closet? Purses. On the walls? Nothing. It’s a strange feeling, feeling like a stranger in your own room.
Another thing missing from my room was my phone. I bought it a few years back, shortly before I began dating Jessie. That’s how everyone knew it was serious. Mr. Phonaphobia bought a phone for his room?! It’s true. I still dislike answering the phone or calling people for that matter, especially people I don’t know. But I digress.
The point is, after so many memorable conversations on that phone, it was gone from my room. Since I don’t have a landline for my apartment, it really doesn’t do me any good. So, where is it now?
Well, as it turns out, I now know that any lazy traits I display are clearly genetic. My dad put the phone in the family room. Seems reasonable enough. That’s where he and my mom spend a lot of their time together these days. Except they already have a phone in that room—five feet away! I don’t think it’s gotten to the point where my parents call each other on their dueling phones yet, but apparently making the stretch to hand the phone over to the other was just too much.
There’s actually a third phone in the open area family room/kitchen, establishing a telecommunications triangle of terror at the entrance of the Hubert household. So, if no one answers your nighttime call, you can pretty much guarantee no one is home. They don’t have to go far to pick up.
As for the birthday dinner, things went well. I’m not big on Italian food. Maybe it was the relief of not cooking after living on my own for a month, but last night’s lasagna hit the spot.
The get-together was a fun time all around. With me living the apt life and my brothers both at college, I’m sure the house seems awfully quiet and empty these days. It really is like a whole new chapter for the Hubert family, but I’m excited for it. It’s cool to see our new, (arguably) more mature interactions.
Of course, some things never change. Sarcasm and ripping on each other (because we love) remains a constant. And, of course, there was the brother scuffle. Mike and Jeff did the honors this time. It’s just what brothers do. And what drives moms and grandmas crazy.
So, happy birthday, Molly! Thanks for making me feel old. And to everyone else: Mom, Dad, Grandma, Mike, Jeff and Rocket, thanks for a fun night. It’s crazy to think that after living most of my life seeing my siblings every day, it’s now an event for us to be together at the same time. But if that helps me appreciate them a bit more, perhaps it’s not such a bad thing.
Print this post
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yeah, I remember that day. It was two days after I moved out. Came home to do laundry and my parents were already painting my old room. I spent the rest of the evening wandering around, feeling vaguely homeless.
I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Sooner seems to have won out.
Post a Comment