At some date in the future, perhaps having visitors to my apartment won’t seem like a blockbuster event, but since the whole having-my-own-place thing is still relatively new, the novelty of visitors—including my parents—hasn’t worn off.
So it was with a great deal of excitement that I welcomed my mom and dad to the apartment last night. Of course, as always, they did not come empty handed. The big project of the day was putting together a bookcase.
My dad, Mr. Handyman himself, built this bookcase using a lot of the wood from old shelves from our former TV room at home. He built it in his studio, deconstructed it, brought the pieces to my apartment and reassembled it in my bedroom. It’s huge, probably seven or eight feet tall with six shelves that are about two- or three-feet long. And it fits surprisingly well into my room, between my desk and dresser. Very cool. As my mom said, it’s amazing how much I’ve been able to jam into my living space.
All the storage space on the shelves will go a long way to de-cluttering around the apartment. Between the two closets and the few piles/boxes of things lying around, this is a big step toward being totally settled in. Perhaps by 2009, I’ll be good to go.
Not to be outdone by Dad, Mom came bearing gifts as well: curtains for my bedroom, a rug and toilet brush for the bathroom, a tree skirt to cover up Wesley’s bottom parts, even a plate of dinner from home.
She also got me two throw pillows to go with my couches, which—by the way—I’m glad to have purchased. Anyway, pillows were an item that I’ve had In the back of my mind since getting the couches. Jessie even had me looking through and nearly purchasing a cool multi-colored striped pillow that was on sale at Pier One back in October, but I decided to hold off. I then nearly purchased a beige-and-brown striped pillow from Wal-Mart at an even cheaper price, but decided I needed at least a little color to liven up the brown and black attack.
So, when Mom came in with a brown-and-blue striped pair of pillows (brown and blue, Jessie—get pumped) at the low-low price of free, I just couldn’t help but say yes. My curtains have a blue stripe pattern, too, so it’s sort of a match.
My parents also brought my collection of Tom Hubert original Christmas ornaments. My dad makes the coolest ornaments you’ll ever see. And I’m probably the only person alive that will have a Christmas tree decorated with the likes of a ceramic pizza, Big Bird, Hulk Hogan, Bo Jackson and Adam Duritz (to name a few of my favorites).
Once I put them on the tree (hopefully sometime this week), I’ll be feeling even more at home. As it is, I was happy to get rave reviews from my parents on the Christmas tree (Wes is the best! Thanks, Jess) and curtain decorations.
December marks month three in the apartment, and things are really looking good around here. I hope things are good where you are, too.
Print this post
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment